Radishes are the Bennetton of Food as exemplified by this simple watermelon radish salad.
This post represents the first in a series of posts inspired by movie soundtrack songs. All songs are ones that were specifically made to for a particular movie vs. an existing song that was included as part of a soundtrack. Shout-out to Prentice “P-Funk” Frye, Eric “Eazy E” Bowie, and The Movie BruthasÂ for some of the song recos. Definitely check-out the Movie Bruthas if you get a chance. They’re my goto guys for updates and reviews on all things movies past, present and future.
Given color is associated with Fall I figured I’d kickoff the month of October with one of my favorite vegetables of color – watermelon radish. I love radishes – black radish, French breakfast radish, white radish, cherry belle radish, but the watermelon is more than a radish. A watermelon radish has a white exterior, but an intense, reddish-purple flesh with bright circular striations of pink and pagenta closer toward the center. It’s flavor is mild, but slightly peppery with some sweet notes.
I typically pickle radishes, but thought for this plant-based recipe I’d make a raw watermelon radish salad. Using a mandolin, I sliced these very thin and paired with a citrus vinaigrette made with blood oranges and grapefruit. The radish is edible as is, but the vinaigrette helps break down the flesh and enhance the sweetness.
I also added fresh herbs and edamame, the latter provides protein as well as complements the color visual to make the dish look even mre appetizing. This is critical if you’re serving this to kids which we do in our house for our kids and their friends all the time. Because of the visual appeal they grab and eat first and ask questions later if at all. As an option you can add goat cheese which pairs well, but if you prefer a strictly plant based or vegan option feel free to exclude.
Great beats, better eats. If you’re looking for a watermelon radish recipe, try this watermelon radish salad with or without goat cheese depending on your preference!
â€œMore Than A Womanâ€ Plant-based Raw Watermelon Radish and Citrus SaladPrint
- 1 medium grapefruit peeled
- 1 medium blood orange peeled
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup edamame seeds shelled
- 2 watermelon radish thinly sliced
- 1 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- Goat cheese optional
- Halve both the grapefruit and blood oranges. Reserve half of each for juicing. Slice the other halves into 1/2 inch chunks.
- In a small bowl add juice from the reserved halves of grapefruit and blood orange. Stir together the grapefruit juice, blood orange juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the olive oil to make a vinaigrette.Â
- Plate the watermelon radish. Top with edamame and chunks of grapefruit and blood oranges. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad. Top with the cilantro and goat cheese if using.