Servings: 2 people
Pear Cream Sauce
Blend almond milk and pear in blender until smooth.
Add the oil to a pot on the stove and heat it at medium to high heat.
As the oil heats, sift the flour and add to the pan stirring vigorously.
Fry the flour in the oil for around 3 minutes, stirring the whole time, don't allow it to get too hot, turn down your heat if it starts to stick at any point.
Add the almond milk and pear mixture.
Continue to stir and allow the sauce to gradually thicken. You will usually get to the right thickness after it has reached boiling point and boiled for a few minutes.
When you've reached the desired thickness (keep in mind that the sauce will continue to thicken as it cools), remove from the heat and add salt and pepper as well as any other spice you prefer.
Place scallops on a layer of paper towels and dry thoroughly.
Season with salt on all sides.
Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat until lightly smoking. Add scallops, leaving space between each one to prevent excess steaming.
Cook scallops without moving them until well browned on first side, about 1 minute. Carefully flip scallops and cook until second side is browned, about 1 minute longer. Transfer scallops to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve immediately with pear cream sauce.
- Moisture is the enemy. Dry the scallops thoroughly. I like to pat dry them with a paper towel then air dry them in the fridge uncovered.
- Season with salt just before searing
- Skillet should be very hot (smoking lightly). You oil/fat with high smoke point - canola, ghee, avocado oil
- When you add the scallops leave adequate space between each one to prevent any steaming which ruins the sear
- Resist the urge to move the scallops around while cooking. Let them sit still to brown properly. Plus if the pan is hot enough the scallops will easily release when they're ready
Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 226mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 308mg | Iron: 1mg