Servings: 6 people
In a medium saucepan add potatoes, broth, bay leaf, and salt. Add water to make sure the potatoes are covered. Bring everything to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for roughly 10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
Drain the potatoes. Remove the bay leaf and set potatoes aside.
Place eggs in the saucepan and add water then boil eggs. Drain and allow to cool before peeling.
Mix potatoes with the mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, and seasonings (sugar, salt, garlic powder, paprika). Add dill, celery, vinegar, and eggs mixing well. Taste for flavor, then adjust with more seasoning and/or mayo and mustard. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Garnish with fresh dill and paprika.
- Use Yukon potatoes
- Try to dice your ingredients as evenly as possible. Smaller chunks are also better than larger ones. You want each bite to get a mix of the different ingredients vs. only the larger diced potato.
- Bring the water and potatoes to a boil at the same time vs. heating the water first. The potatoes will cook evenly this way.
- Season at each step, especially early. During boiling the potatoes can/will absorb the flavors in the liquid. Boil potatoes in seasoned broth to maximize flavor
- This is a recipe for potato salad not mashed potatoes, so don't cook the potatoes to a super soft texture. They should be creamy in the center with a fair amount of disintegration on the outside.
- The sour cream and mayo add a certain level of richness, so you'll want some acidity from the rice vinegar to break up the dairy richness.
- Don't add the mayo too early. Wait till the potatoes are close to room temperature otherwise, the potato salad will end up very oily. Waiting to mix the ingredients with the potatoes also provides the needed time for the water to evaporate. Trust me, you don't want a watery potato salad. That's another no-no. The more evaporation the better the dressing mix clings to the potatoes.
Calories: 462kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 1910mg | Potassium: 820mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 890IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg