Servings: 6 people
Set instant pot settings to saute and add olive oil, onions, carrots, okra, and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes
Add paprika, pepper, salt, allspice and saute for an additional minute
Add beans, broth, water, wine, ham hock, bay leaf, and thyme. Stir well. Twist to lock the lid, and turn the valve to sealing. Cook at high pressure 40 minutes, and then let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes.
Turn the valve to venting. Unlock lid, and remove ham hocks with tongs. Discard skin, bones and cartilage. Chop or shred ham and stir back into beans.
- For traditional stovetop cooking approach follow the same instructions using a large pot or dutch oven. It will just be a longer, slow simmer. Saute the vegetables on medium heat and then cook the beans covered on simmer for 40 minutes or more depending on the desired level of creaminess.
- For creamier beans, put a ladle or two of the beans into a small bowl, and mash with a potato masher or fork. Stir back into the pot.
- Saute the vegetables first to release the flavors
- Add spices to the saute, as heat brings out their flavor more
- Cook the smoked ham hock whole or as big chunks and then after the dish is done, remove, cut into pieces and add back to the pot
- Have bread on hand as you’ll want to sop up any and all remains
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2820IU | Vitamin C: 6.3mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1.9mg
Subscribe To My YouTube Channel for full length recipe videos. Click the bell icon to be notified when I post new videos.
My YouTube Channel