Servings: 4 people
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the okra, and drain on a kitchen towel, drying thoroughly. Clip the tips lengthwise down the center with a pair of scissors or sharp knife. Trim the ends if you prefer and then place the okra in a large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste, and toss with the olive oil until coated.
Remove okra and place on a sheet pan in one layer. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes shaking the pan every five minutes. The okra should have a nice sear. If using larger okra you'll need to cook longer.
Remove from the heat, toss with spice mix and fresh herbs, if desired. Transfer to a platter. Serve hot.
- I like to clip the tips of the okra right down the center with a knife or pair of kitchen scissors. When cooked at high heat this will allow the okra to open up almost as if it were fanning open; visually think about a dolphin opening its mouth wide. Besides looking pretty cool presentation-wise, this helps whole okra to cook faster while killing off that slime.
- As mentioned earlier choose smaller, less than thumb size okra pods
- Season as simple as with salt and pepper or use your favorite spice mix. Roasted okra holds up well to intense spices as well as your smokier versions.
- A good dip or sauce is another option. Dip in hummus, a doctored mayo, or drizzle with your favorite hot sauce.
- Make a big batch and let the family eat them as an appetizer or tide me over until dinner is ready
Calories: 67kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 582mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Iron: 0.1mg
Subscribe To My YouTube Channel for full length recipe videos. Click the bell icon to be notified when I post new videos.
My YouTube Channel