Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
Servings: 2 people
Beef Neck Bones
- 2-1/2 pounds Beef Neck bones
- Salt And Pepper
- Olive Oil For Searing
- 1 whole Medium Onion Finely Diced
- 3 whole Carrots Finely Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 cups Red Wine
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Sliced Fontina or Brie Cheese
- 2 hamburger buns
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Salt
- Sugar optional
- ¼ cup red stripe or other lager style beer
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
Beef Neck Bones
Rub the outside of the neck bones with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over high heat, brown the neck bones on all sides. Set aside and reserve.
Add carrots, onions and garlic to the pot and saute 3-5 minutes. Season with paprika and additional salt and pepper.
Add the stock, wine, bay leaf, and tomato paste. Mix well deglazing the pan,then add the neck bones back to the pot.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cooking on low for 4-6 hours. Alternatively you can braise in the oven at 275 degrees. Remove neck bones and let cool slightly. Pull the beef away from the bones and chop. Beef should be tender and easy to pull apart.
Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil. Heat the pan on medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally.
Depending on how strong your stovetop burner is you may need to reduce the heat to medium low to prevent the onions from burning or drying out.
After 10 minutes, sprinkle some salt over the onions, and if you want, you can add some sugar to help with the caramelization process. If they start to dry, add a little water and stir.
Let cook for 30 minutes to an hour more, stirring every few minutes. As soon as the onions start sticking to the pan, let them stick a little and brown, but then stir them before they burn.
Assemble the Sandwich
Top bottom bun with chopped neck bones, onions, and slices of cheese.Broil in oven at high settings to melt the cheese for five minutes.Top with sauce and top bun.
For traditional braising method follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 325ËšF.
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle all sides of the beef with some salt and pepper then brown on all sides; set aside.Â
- In the same pot, add the onion (add more oil if needed) and cook until the onion begins to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic and carrots, cooking for another 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and by scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the beef neck bones back to the pot along with the beef stock, bring it to simmer, cover, and put in the oven to braise until fork tender, about 2 1/2 hours
Calories: 845kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 4247mg | Potassium: 1701mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 17010IU | Vitamin C: 15.5mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 8.2mg