Make the sofrito:
In a medium-sized pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic, and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and let cook for about 5 minutes, until it thickens and reduces. If liquid remains, continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Add the wine and herbs and let cook for 5 minutes, until the wine reduces and the flavors combine.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Pour mixture into a blender or food processor. Puree for about one minute, until the sauce still has some texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Will keep refrigerated for 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Makes about 2 cups.
Make the Stewed Okra
Heat a saucepan with about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onions, garlic, and paprika then saute for about 2 -3 minutes.
Then add tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, cayenne, and corn, cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir in okra, add water/broth, sofrito, salt and cook for about 15-20 minutes or more stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings to taste
Serve with grits or rice.
- As much as possible use fresh ingredients. The fresher the better
- Make a big batch of the sofrito and use to flavor other dishes
- Onions sauteed in bacon fat is a quick way to add flavor, but you lose that clean garden fresh flavor you get with a sofrito base
- Choose smaller, younger okra pods. The bigger ones have that wood-like texture and also produce more slime. Don't worry long slow stewing nets slime-less okra.
- Corn adds texture with its crunch which I particularly like.
- Stewed okra and tomatoes can be covered and refrigerated overnight. I actually prefer waiting a day, because the dish is even more flavorful after a day of sitting.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 321mg | Potassium: 720mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3718IU | Vitamin C: 88mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 3mg
Subscribe To My YouTube Channel for full length recipe videos. Click the bell icon to be notified when I post new videos.
My YouTube Channel