Servings: 2 people
Season the chicken with salt and pepper making sure to rub the seasonings into the skin well.
Set the instant pot to saute setting and add the coconut oil
Add the chicken pieces skin side down and saute 2-3 minutes. Move the chicken around with tongs to prevent too much sticking. Flip the chicken and brown for another 2 minutes
Remove the chicken and add the onions and garlic using additional oil if necessary. Cook for two minutes and then add the peppers for another minute of cooking. Press cancel to stop saute.
Add the bbq sauce and chicken stock, then stir to mix the sauce as well as deglaze the pot.
Add all the chicken pieces back to the pot.
Seal the Instant Pot according to manufacturers instructions.
Set the Instant Pot to Manual, High pressure, for 20 minutes. Finish with quick pressure release. Serve with rice.
- The chicken will stick to the instant pot pan during saute step. Don't worry you'll be okay as long as you don't let it cook too long. I used tongs and moved the chicken around some as I wanted to brown the chicken as well as get that good caramelization.
- Deglaze the pan with the sauce before pressure cooking. Those brown bits of chicken skin will add great flavor to the dish.
- Don't fret if you don't have an instant pot, this recipe easily works in a slow cooker. Just be sure to brown the chicken and saute the vegetables in a pan first
- The sauce is well seasoned, so no need to add any additional salt, otherwise this dish will be too salty.
- Coconut oil gives the dish an extra Caribbean element, but don't buy any just for this recipe. Canola or olive oil works just fine
- Don't crowd the pan when browning the chicken initially. Brown in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding which makes caramelization nearly impossible and robs you of additional flavor.
Calories: 1342kcal | Carbohydrates: 193g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 215mg | Sodium: 4775mg | Potassium: 1914mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 151g | Vitamin A: 3190IU | Vitamin C: 131.8mg | Calcium: 187mg | Iron: 5mg
Subscribe To My YouTube Channel for full length recipe videos. Click the bell icon to be notified when I post new videos.
My YouTube Channel