This super crispy cornish hen recipe is my favorite holiday main dish. The hens are slow smoked and then oven roasted to a golden crispiness.
A highly flavorful brine and tasty dry seasoning rub elevates this recipe from good to great.
CRISPY CORNISH HEN INGREDIENTS
- Cornish Hens
- Buttermilk – key brine ingredient
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Lime Zest and Juice
- Garlic Cloves
- Duck Fat – adds depth of flavor, dark golden flavor and aids in crispiness.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CRISPY HEN RECIPE
Brine in buttermilk and seasonings
Season – with dry spice mix
Smoke – for an hour
Roast – until desired internal temps reached
Don’t skip the brining step. Brining adds amazing flavor and ensures a moist bird during crisping.
I went for a somewhat Cuban seasoning mix. Feel free to tweak or use your favorite dry seasoning mix. Just make sure the hen is well seasoned.
When seasoning the bird be sure to season underneath the skin as well as on the skin. The hen has loose skin in a few different locations that you can raise with a finger or spoon to add seasoning. Same holds true for the duck fat.
Duck is an amazing add! But it’s not accessible everywhere, but if you find it, buy it and use it. Otherwise butter is a fine substitute.
Desired temp is 165 degrees F. I tend to pull my hen out at about 160 ish as the hen will continue cooking some as it cools.
If you have stands to cook the hens upright use them.
Feel free to stuff the hens with your favorite stuffing recipe. You’ll need to tie the legs prior to cooking.
MORE CORNISH HEN RECIPES
MAKE THIS RECIPE
If you make this crispy cornish hen recipe or any other from the site, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 2 small Cornish Hens
- 1 pint Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Cilantro roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Lime Zest
- 1 medium Lime Juiced
- 4 Garlic Cloves diced
- 1/4 cup Duck Fat
- Mix the dry spice ingredients together in a small ramekin.
- Mix the buttermilk, lime juice, zest, garlic, fresh herbs, and half the dry seasoning mix.
- Place the brine mix in a extra large ziplock bag. Add the Cornish hen to the brine and marinate overnight.
- Remove the hen from the refrigerator. Rub each hen with duck fat below and above the skin.
- Add the remaining dried spice mix all over the hens as well as under the skin.
- Pre-heat smoker between 225-275 degrees. Add the hens and smoke for about an hour.
- Remove from smoker and finish in the oven at 450 degrees. Remove and let rest about 5 minutes.