This savory Keto Oatmeal with the flavors of saffron and smoked sweet paprika will transport you to Spain.
The saffron-infused stock creates an aroma that will spread throughout your house, while the chorizo sausage not only makes this dish comforting but also provides for a filling main dish.
Ingredients For Savory Keto Oatmeal
- Ghee or butter
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Saffron Threads
- Chicken Stock
- Oatmeal Toppings
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Spanish Chorizo
How To Make Savory Spanish Oatmeal
Heat stock in a small sauce pan. Reduce to a simmer and add the saffron threads. Turn off heat and allow the saffron to infuse the stock with flavor 3-4 minutes. Reserve stock in a measuring cup.
In a skillet saute chorizo quickly 2-3 minutes.
Using the same sauce pan used ti make the stock, heat ghee in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add the raw oats and toast for 1-2 minutes.
Add the paprika and give a quick stir.
Transfer to a bowl, top with the red peppers and chorizo.
Cooking Considerations and Tips
Make sure you use Spanish hard chorizo vs the softer Mexican chorizo. The flavor and textures are very different from each other and thus not interchangeable in recipes.
A little saffron goes a long way, which is a good thing given its cost
Buy jarred roasted red peppers, which can be found in pickle/vinegar aisle of most grocery stores.
Note cooking times are based on using old-fashioned rolled oats. Other types are substitutable but will require both different cook times and liquid quantities depending on type of oats.
Toasting oats is not level flavor. Don’t skip this step.
For creamier texture add milk, but be sure to keep the liquid ratio the same.
Checkout this roundup of more creative oatmeal recipes.
More Savory Oatmeal Recipes
make this recipe
If you make this Savory Keto Oatmeal Recipe please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
Lastly, go to my YouTube channel and subscribe to be notified when new weekly videos are uploaded.
- 1 teaspoon ghee or butter
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tiny pinch of saffron threads
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- ¼ cup Roasted Red Peppers diced
- ½ lb Spanish Chorizo Sausage chopped
- Heat stock in a small saucepan. Reduce to a simmer and add the saffron threads. Turn off heat and allow the saffron to infuse the stock with flavor 3-4 minutes. Reserve stock in a measuring cup.
- In a skillet saute chorizo quickly for 2-3 minutes.
- Using the same saucepan used to make the stock, heat ghee in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Add the raw oats and toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the paprika and give a quick stir.
- Add the saffron-infused chicken stock, stir, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 5-6 minutes. The oatmeal is ready when the oats have soaked up most of the liquid.
- Transfer to a bowl, top with the red peppers, and chorizo.