Crispy vegan roasted okra is one of my new favorite veggies. It’s a no-fuss, delicious side that is ready in less than 30 minutes. Crunchy, spicy and delicious, perfect for a side dish, snack or an appetizer.
Note this post was updated September 19, 2019
Despite its bad reputation, you can never have enough okra recipes. I admit though, I used to fear the slime! For the longest time I avoided okra like it was the plague, unknowingly depriving myself of all its beauty. Things done changed now; my okra game is nice and I got okra recipes galore including vegan ones! My preferred way to eat okra is grilled, fried or stewed. However, lately out of convenience I’ve been all about that roasted okra life. Also, if you’re looking for more healthy okra recipes, roasting solves this issue.
Roasted okra inspiration
Nelson Mandela once said, “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”Fear can push to greatness or keep you from achieving your greatness. It seems that lately fear tactics have been used as the tools of incompetence. Leaders appear to be more fear pimps vs. inspirational. Fear almost kept me from okra whisperer status.
I was somewhat hesitant initially as I feared I wouldn’t be able to get that crisp I so love. But I’m glad to admit I was wrong. There are few steps to achieve that desired level of crispiness, but it’s actually pretty simple. It’s primarily about okra selection. The smaller ones are preferred. The end result is not potato chip crisp, but its a good crunchy bite and just as irresistible. The other key is to actually let them cook long enough for a good char. Don’t fear the burn; a good browning is actually a good thing. It both deepens the flavor and gets you to crispy.
Is roasted okra slimy
High heat generally eliminates slime from fresh okra. Roasting qualifies as high heat, so you’re in luck. This recipe gets you in the slime-free zone.
Is okra keto friendly
Okra is a vegetable vs. legume and is very much so low carb making it paleo and keto friendly. Okra is also low in calories making it a great vegetable side dish.
How to choose okra for this recipe
For that nice crispy yet tender texture opt for the smaller okra pods, i.e. 2-3 inches long. Larger okra pods tend to be pretty tough for chewing. If storing in the refrigerator make sure all moisture has been removed from the okra as it will lead to browning which is so unattractive. Moisture will also increase slime quotient. Best best is to wait til just about to cook before washing the okra.
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make Roasted Okra
- olive oil
- fresh whole okra pods
- fresh cilantro
- fresh mint
- kosher or sea salt
- ground black pepper
- favorite spice mix (cajun spice mix is excellent)
Key Steps To Make Roasted Okra:
Combine seasoning in a small bowl.
Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Spread okra on the baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the seasoning and stir to coat.
Roast for 13-15 minutes (or slightly longer), until the ends are golden
additional roasted okra cooking tips
- I like to clip the tips of the okra right down the center with a knife or pair of kitchen scissors. When cooked at high heat this will allow the okra to open up almost as if it were fanning open; visually think about a dolphin opening its mouth wide. Besides looking pretty cool presentation-wise, this helps whole okra to cook faster while killing off that slime.
- As mentioned earlier choose smaller, less than thumb size okra pods
- Season as simple as with salt and pepper or use your favorite spice mix. Roasted okra holds up well to intense spices as well as your smokier versions. I make what I consider a cajun dust, which features smoky paprika, cayenne, garlic, and onion powders, and dried or ground oregano. Cumin or even garam masala are great complementary flavors too.
- A good dip or sauce is another option. Dip in hummus, a doctored mayo, or drizzle with your favorite hot sauce.
- Make a big batch and let the family eat them as an appetizer or tide me over until dinner is ready
Making crispy roasted okra
If you make this delicious crispy roasted okra recipe, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- pound fresh okra
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp fresh mint chopped
- Optional cajun spice mix
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the okra, and drain on a kitchen towel, drying thoroughly. Clip the tips lengthwise down the center with a pair of scissors or sharp knife. Trim the ends if you prefer and then place the okra in a large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste, and toss with the olive oil until coated.
- Remove okra and place on a sheet pan in one layer. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes shaking the pan every five minutes. The okra should have a nice sear. If using larger okra you'll need to cook longer.
- Remove from the heat, toss with spice mix and fresh herbs, if desired. Transfer to a platter. Serve hot.