A harissa roasted carrots recipe that is both simple and bold. It works as a weeknight side or a changeup to your Sunday dinner plans.
Why take beautiful vegetables like carrots and dunk them in a sea of ranch dressing? Just because carrots are humble, don't mean they can't be cool and fly. This roasted carrots recipe is for the grown and sexy people, though I suspect if you got kids they will love them as well.
I made a big batch of harissa sauce on a Sunday that I've used in a few different recipes including harissa chicken wings, meatballs, and charred asparagus. I was running low so added some grainy mustard to stretch the sauce and provide just enough to glaze these farmers market fresh carrots I came upon.
This recipe is as easy as it gets, especially if you're like me and your Sunday meal prep consists of you making a few sauces for the week. With my mighty harissa sauce on hand, all was left for me to do was peel the carrots and roast them. A roasted carrot recipe should not be any more complicated than that. Anything else, and you're probably doing too much! Carrots are naturally sweet and the harissa sauce enhances and elevates them in so many ways:
- The honey helps balance against the heat in the harissa paste
- The lemon juice adds some brightness
- The rice vinegar is mild but breaks things up a bit by providing much-needed acidity
Roasted Carrots Recipe Tips
- Roast whole carrots. There is no chopping and they make for a great presentation. The one exception would be if your carrots are abnormally thick, then you'd want to half them lengthwise.
- Roast at 400 degrees max. Cook too high and they'll shrivel up like raisins
- Eat immediately as they don't hold up well texture wise. If you choose to make them ahead of time, then seal them tightly in an airtight container
- Choose carrot top carrots if available and reserve tops for pesto or salsa verde
- Peel your carrots. I don't peel (I always clean them though) carrots when I'm making stock because I like that earthy taste, but roasted that taste is too much and the skin gets wrinkly which ain't a good look.
making harissa glazed carrots
If you make this simple roasted carrots recipe, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, andÂ Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
FOR THE SAUCE
- ¼ cup Harissa paste
- ½ tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp Honey
FOR THE CARROTS
- 1 lb Assorted Whole Carrots
MAKE THE SAUCE
- In a small bowl combine honey, olive oil, harissa, lemon juice, vinegar, and mustard. Reserve about 2 tablespoons.
MAKE THE CARROTS
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss carrots with the harissa sauce. Spread carrots in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake 30 minutes rotating the carrots about halfway through. Toss with reserved harissa sauce and cilantro (optional)