I love whole roasted carrots this time of year, but I love coffee roasted carrots even more. They're great plain or paired with a sauce like the spicy gochujang tahini sauce in this recipe.
These are amazing for not only the simplicity of their cooking and prep, but more for the complex depth of flavors that are characteristic of the dish. This roasted carrots recipe is a fall/winter staple for us, but its taste profile and eye appeal make it great as a Christmas holiday side.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE ROASTED CARROTS
- Olive Oil
- Coffee Beans
- Kosher Salt
For the Tahini Sauce
WhOLE CARROTS ROASTING INSTRUCTIONS
Make the carrots
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F
Toss the carrots in olive oil and season with salt. Place a layer of coffee beans in a cast-iron skillet or oven-proof pan with a tight-fitting cover. Arrange carrots on top of coffee beans.
Cover the pan and roast for 45-60 minutes. Carrots should be nice and tender. Remove from the oven, discard the beans, and let the carrots cool to room temperature.
For the tahini sauce
While the carrots are roasting, make the sauce. Combine all the sauce ingredients and mix well. If consistency is too thick, adjust with water as needed.
You don't have to be a coffee drinker to enjoy the flavor provided by the coffee beans. Coffee makes for a great flavor agent. For this recipe, I recommend Ethiopian beans for their amazing depth of flavor.
If you're not a coffee drinker and have coffee beans sitting around don't go and blow your budget. Just go to the bulk bin and buy just what you need.
Don't fear the coffee flavor isn't too strong and overpowering. The carrots will taste like carrots lightly infused with coffee aroma. You get more roasted flavor than coffee. It's both earthy and smoky which pairs well with the sweetness of the carrots.
Most chili pastes will work with the tahini. I've used chipotle, gochujang, and even Peruvian aji Amarillo. Just use your favorite paste or hot sauce. The sauce enhances the tahini flavor.
Add the pomegranate seeds for texture, mouth experience, and flavor.
make this recipe
If you make this whole roasted carrots recipe or any other from the site, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 8 whole young fresh carrots peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Dark roasted coffee beans
For Tahini Sauce
- 2 tablespoon tahini paste
- 2 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chili paste or hot sauce of choice
- Juice from ½ small lime
For the carrots
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Toss the carrots in olive and season with salt as well as any other desired spices.
- Place a layer of coffee beans in cast-iron skillet or oven-proof pan with tight fitting cover. Arrange carrots on top of coffee beans
- Cover the pan and roast for 45-60 minutes. Carrots should be nice and tender
- Remove from oven. Discard beans and let the carrots cool to room temperature.
- Serve as is or add a spicy tahini sauce with pomegranate seeds
For the tahini sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Adjust consistency with water as needed.