This Mexican Beer Cocktail aka Da Moopbrown is damn good! Hey if Arnold Palmer can have his own drink, why can't I? Make it and thank me later. Fair warning if you don't like beer, this isn't for you, otherwise drink up, responsibly that is.
Admittedly, I was slow to the idea of a beer cocktail. I love beer, but am somewhat of a purist. Likewise, I am not much of a cocktail guy as I like my liquor straight-up neat for the most part. However, I can be somewhat of a mad scientist when it comes to food and drinks.
My beer cocktail is Frankensteined iteration of my beer and hot chocolate tendencies. It's chocolate, plus a spicy heat to complement both the sweetness and richness of the beer provided by it's combination of caramel and black malts.
BEER COCKTAIL INGREDIENTS
- Dark Mexican Beer
- Coffee Liqueur
- Cocoa Powder
- Chili Powder
HOW TO MIX BEER COCKTAILS
Mix salt, chili powder, and cocoa powder into a small, shallow dish in an even layer.
Rub the rim of a pint glass with the cut side of a lime quarter then dip glass into the dish to create a "salted" rim.
Set the glass right side up and fill with a shot of the coffee liqueur. Top with the beer and stir gently. Garnish with dried chili strips.
BEER COCKTAIL CONSIDERATION
Go with a darker Mexican beer like Negra Modelo or Bohemian
There are lots of good coffee liqueurs on the market these days. Patron XO Cafe is pretty good, as is Austin based Caffe del Fuego, but my favorite is probably Nirvana.
MORE BEVERAGE RECIPES
If you make this Beer Cocktail please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
- Quarter of fresh lime
- 1 shot coffee liqueur Patron XO Cafe or Cafe Fuego
- 1 12-ounce bottle Dark Mexican Beer Negra Modelo or Bohemia well chilled
- Mix salt, chili powder, and cacao powder into a small, shallow dish in an even layer.
- Rub a pint glass's rim with the cut side of the lime quarter then dip glass into the dish to create a salt rim.
- Set glass right side up and fill with shot of coffee liqueur. Top with beer. Stir gently if you prefer to mix it up some.
- Garnish with dried chili strips.