Toasted bread, check. Melted cheese, check. Add sausage and you have the makings of this delicious grilled cheese sandwich with andouille sausage.
If the spicy andouille isn't enough throw in some tart sour pickles and caramelized onions to take this sausage sandwich over the top.
GRILLED CHEESE INGREDIENTS
- Cheddar Cheese Slices
- Andouille Sausage
- Sliced Pickles
- Caramelized Onions (optional)
GRILLED CHEESE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare the sausage
Halve the sausage links lengthwise. Grill links in a skillet or grill pan on both sides.
Prepare the sandwich
Place bread slices on a plate or work surface. Cover each slice with a total of 2 cheese slices. Layer the sausage links on top of the cheese. Add pickles and caramelized onions if using. Close the sandwich by topping with the other bread slice. The sausage, pickles, and caramelized onions should be between 2 slices of cheese on each side (top and bottom).
Grill the sandwich
Place an indoor grill pan on the stovetop and heat on medium-low heat.
Place the sandwich on the grill and grill 3-4 minutes, For that last minute place a heavy cast-iron skillet on top of the sandwich. Remove the skillet and flip the sandwich. Grill for another 3-4 steps repeating the cast-iron skillet step for that last minute of grilling.
One, make sure the heat isn't too high. Play the long game and go low and slow with the fire. Starting with too high a heat nets a burned exterior and barely melted cheese. Essentially you want the bread to toast at the same rate as the cheese melts.
Brown the sausage before making the sandwich
I also have a small but heavy cast iron skillet I use to enhance the crust. I use the skillet as a makeshift panini press. The extra weight helps with toasting further. A spatula can work just as well if you apply enough pressure.
Make sure you have chosen a good melting cheese. Back when I worked for Kraft Foods, Grilled Cheese sandwiches featuring Velveeta was one of our most popular recipes. Velveeta's melt was unmatched and thus it was often preferred against more natural cheese for its melting qualities. For me strong cheese taste is as important as melt so I prefer a sharp cheddar cheese.
The caramelized onions step is optional. To caramelize onions start with sliced onions and olive oil in a saute pan on medium-high heat. You want a big pan so the onions have room to do their thing. And make sure you have plenty of sliced onions. They're going to shrink down significantly when caramelized. Hit them with some salt. This will draw out the moisture. As they cook, they'll first get soft, then juicy. Then, this concentrates and they begin to brown, or caramelize, making them sweet and delicious. It will take about 10 to 15 minutes.
MORE SANDWICH RECIPES
make this recipe
If you make this grilled cheese sandwich recipe or any other from the site, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 4 slices hearty white bread
- ½ pound cheddar cheese slices
- Andouille sausage split into 4 links
- Sliced pickles
- 1 Small onion sliced
Making the Sandwich
- Grill links on both sides until completely cooked, then set aside.
- Place bread slices on the counter and cover each slice of bread with a total of 2 cheese slices on each slice of bread.
- Place two of the split links of andouille on one of the slices of the prepared bread slices and then repeat for the other slice.
- Add pickles and caramelized onions to each of the andouille topped slices of bread.
- Close the sandwich by layering on top the remaining bread slices. The sausage, pickles, and onions should be sandwiched between two slices off cheese on each side.
- Place indoor grill pan on stovetop and heat on medium low heat.
- Place both sandwiches on the grill pan. And grill 3-4 minutes. For the last minute place heavy cast iron skillet on top of sandwich. Remove the skillet and flip the sandwiches. Grill for another 3-4 minutes repeating cast iron skillet step for last minute of grilling.
- If the cheese is not fully melted, turn the heat down to low. Just be careful not to burn the bread.
Caramelized Onions Instructions
- Start with sliced onions and olive oil in aÂ sautÃ© pan on medium-high heat. You want a big pan so the onions have room to do their thing. And make sure you have plenty of sliced onions. They're going to shrink down significantly when caramelized.
- Hit them with some salt. This will draw out the moisture. As they cook, they'll first get soft, then juicy. Then, this concentrates and they begin to brown, or caramelize, making them sweet and delicious. It will take about 10 to 15 minutes.