Red Rice with Jumbo Shrimp Recipe
Easy, delicious recipe for a quick gourmet weeknight dinner meal.
This red rice dish is an easy and flavorful go-to recipe for us. My Aunt Gail used to make a version served with sausage like boudin or kielbasa. Aunt Gail had about three recipes but her red rice was her best. I love it because it’s economical, tasty, no fuss i.e. everybody likes it, and I always have the ingredients on hand.
A day like today, where I wanted to listen to more music than I did cook, I grabbed a Dallas brew from Lakewood Brewing Co., threw fellow Dallas St. Mark’s alumni Boz Scaggs on the Sonos, and quickly pulled together this red rice and jumbo shrimp recipe. If you’re ever in Dallas I highly recommend the Brewery Tour at Lakewood.
This dish also works with other grains and brown rice versions. I’ve made this dish with farro if you want to fancy this up, but rice would be my recommendation again for the taste, costs, and no fuss factor.
Great beats, better eats. Enjoy this red rice recipe often!
Jumbo Shrimp and Red RicePrint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 12- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs basil, thyme, oregano
- 1 tablespoon green onions finely chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook 1 minute on each side or until almost fully cooked. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until the grains are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, dried herbs and spices and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the rice from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and fold in the scallion greens before serving. Add shrimp