A very simple roasted broccoli recipe dressed flavorfully for an easy weeknight side.
Garlic and parmesan are simple adds that deliver big flavor!
I find some of the simplest recipes are the best. This roasted broccoli qualifies as such and is one of our favorite staples. It's especially great in a pinch when we have a typical crazy week, but it's also just an outstanding side to have in your repertoire.
Everyone in our house makes their own version of this recipe with the finishing dressings being the differentiator. I tend to be on the more simple side favoring the classic pairings of lemon and extra virgin olive oil. My son prefers to go heavy with parmesan which is no surprise.
ROASTED BROCCOLI INGREDIENTS
- Broccoli Florets
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
Cut the broccoli heads into smaller florets. Place them in a large bowl. Add garlic and olive oil, then toss to coat the florets evenly.
Adjust oven rack to the upper position. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Season the broccoli with salt and pepper. Spread broccoli into a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest, juice from half a lemon, and the parmesan. Use as much parmesan as you prefer. Taste and adjust if needed with more olive oil, lemon juice, or salt.
COOKING CONSIDERATIONS & TIPS
- Dry the broccoli well after washing. Whenever you roast vegetables, you want them to be completely dry before roasting.
- Use a spatula to flip/stir the broccoli for more even cooking
- Cook the broccoli longer for more browned crispy texture
- Use foil sprayed with oil to roast the broccoli and ensure easy clean-up.
- For a cool tasty alternative sauce, forego the lemon and use this pear cream sauce
Main Dish Pairings for Roasted Broccoli
- Try these Grilled Portobello Mushrooms for a vegan dinner option. Just be sure to skip the parmeson or use a vegan one.
- Shrimp such as this grilled fiery recipe
- Chicken breasts
MORE ROASTED BROCCOLI RECIPES
make this recipe
If you make this simple Roasted Broccoli recipe, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 2 lbs broccoli from 3 to 4 small heads
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- zest from one lemon
- ½ lemon juiced
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Adjust oven rack to upper position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Add garlic and olive oil toss to coat evenly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread broccoli into a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest, the juice from half a lemon, and the parmesan. Use as much parmesan as you prefer. Taste and adjust if needed with more olive oil, lemon juice, or salt.