A very simple roasted broccoli recipe dressed flavorfully for an easy weeknight side.
I find some of the simplest recipes are the best. This roasted broccoli qualifies as such and is one of our favorite staples. It’s especially great in a pinch when we have a typical crazy week, but it’s also just an outstanding side to have in your repertoire. Everyone in our house makes their own version of this recipe with the finishing dressings being the differentiator. I tend to be on the more simple side favoring the classic pairings of lemon and extra virgin olive oil. My son prefers to go heavy with parmeson which is no surprise.
This recipe was born out of the crazy cycle we were on right after kid #2 was born. Back then we found ourselves relying a lot on frozen vegetables, especially broccoli. We also made the decision that as early as possible our kids would eat real food. My wife made vegetable purees instead of traditional “baby food” and as the kids aged-out of baby food, we just created bland to mildly spiced versions of the dishes my wife and I ate.
Roasted broccoli could easily meet our grown-up taste needs while allowing our kids to explore and develop their palates. Fast forward to today, both our kids are pretty sophisticated eaters and have ordered from the grown-up menu since forever which has been great for their development but hard on my wallet.
Key tips for making Roasted Broccoli
- Dry the broccoli well after washing. Whenever you roast vegetables, you want them to be completely dry before roasting.
- Use a spatula to flip/stir the broccoli for more even cooking
- Cook the broccoli longer for more browned crispy texture
- Use foil sprayed with oil to roast the broccoli and ensure easy clean-up.
- For a cool tasty alternative sauce, forego the lemon and use this pear cream sauce
Main Dish pairings for Roasted Broccoli
- Try these Grilled Portobello Mushrooms for a vegan dinner option. Just be sure to skip the parmeson or use a vegan one.
- Shrimp such as this grilled fiery recipe
- Chicken breasts
Enjoy this simple and tasty roasted broccoli with garlic as a weeknight side which pairs well with any main dish. For similar recipe try this Romanesco broccoli and cauliflower salad.
- 2 lbs broccoli from 3 to 4 small heads
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- zest from one lemon
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Adjust oven rack to upper position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Add garlic and olive oil toss to coat evenly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread broccoli into a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest, the juice from half a lemon, and the parmesan. Use as much parmesan as you prefer. Taste and adjust if needed with more olive oil, lemon juice, or salt.