Keto Cucumber Salad Recipe
This Cucumber Salad is packed with flavor and super simple to pull together.
This low carb recipe utilizes just a few ingredients and you’re most likely to have on them all on hand. If not, there are easy substitutes to make it work. I grab a few cucumbers during my weekly trip to the farmer’s market. If I’m lucky, they’ll have different varieties for me to play around with.
Cucumbers are comfort food for me and also one of the best vegetables for those following a keto diet. We grew a lot of them back in the day and a plate of salty and peppery sliced cucumbers was my late grandfather’s staple. He was all about cucumbers, and it’s just another one of those things he passed down to me. The salad is a refreshing, pick me up, but I also use it when I need to quickly take the edge off and prevent hangry man from showing up. However, because it presents so well and packs a lot of flavor it works well as a side salad for guests or just as a weeknight monotony breaker.
The dressing really makes this dish pop. The fresh garlic is tamed some by the acidic vinegar and the lime juice helps provide that light refreshing element, especially when paired with the cucumbers. The herbs round it out as well as add brightness. As a bonus, you can add pickled tomatillos, which takes this cucumber salad from great to extraordinary. I keep different pickled vegetables on hand as part of my larger so I typically have some readily available. This is an optional ingredient, so no need for the additional step, but if you have the time they are a delicious addition and very simple to make.
Key Tips for Cucumber Salad
- Use a slicer such as this mandoline to fastly cut-up the cucumber as well as get uniform slices
- Slice cucumbers at different angles and shapes including ribbons or rounds
- For a milder garlic flavor let the garlic sit in the rice vinegar for a few minutes vs. serving immediately.
making cucumber salad
If you make this simple keto cucumber salad please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
Cucumber Salad with Garlicky Herb VinaigrettePrint
- 1/4- cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4- cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4- cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large cucumber sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup pickled tomatillos (optional) quartered
Pickled Tomatillo Quarters
- 4 medium tomatillos quartered
- 1 cup hot water from kitchen faucet
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Thinly slice the cucumbers using a mandolin or sharp knife
- Add spinach and top with dressing.
Combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
Pack the tomatillos in a mason jar, pour the brine over them then cover and refrigerate. They should be ready in a hour or so, but the longer they rest the better they taste.
For texture variations slice cucumbers at different angles and shapes. Add smaller Persian cucumbers for additional texture and taste contrasts.