My daughter teases that a root vegetable salad is "old peoples' salad! But she never passes on fixing a large plate of this simple and delicious salad that brings together farm-fresh ingredients.
When you grow-up with your grandparents and spend a fair amount of time with your grandmother and her crew of girlfriends and sisters, you will undoubtedly eat your fair share of root vegetables - beets, rutabagas, turnips, etc and become quite familiar with The Young and The Restless. My grandma loved the character Neil Winters who she always said "Neil gone work it out" whenever his wife Dru messed up.
Shaved Root Vegetable Salad Ingredients
Choice of vegetables depends on your preference. Don't get hung-up on following the ones specified in the recipe.
- Fresh Herbs
- Rice Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
How To Make Root Vegetable Salad
Step 1: Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, shave each vegetable into long thin slices
Step 2: Mix the lemon juice, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and herbs for your vinaigrette
Step 3: Toss the salad and serve
I like to eat this simple tasty salad with grilled meats such as any of the following:
Tips For Making Salad w/ Root Vegetables
- Choose your favorite root vegetables whether they are included in this recipe or not
- For more tender texture, blanch the sliced vegetables first
- Add green vegetables to give this more of a true salad feel
For other root vegetable recipes try these:
If you make this delicious root vegetable salad recipe or any other from the site, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh herbs cilantro, basil, parsley, etc.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium golden beet peeled
- 2 small radishes peeled
- 1 carrot peeled
- 1 medium cucumber peeled
Make the vinaigrette
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and vinegar. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the salad
- Thinly slice beets, cucumber, carrot, and radishes using a mandoline. Place vegetables in a medium bowl. Spoon vinaigrette over vegetables. Add herbs and then toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.