Vegan Collard Greens Recipe
Nothing like some raw collard greens chiffonade to get me off that slide! Simply prepared, healthy and tasty way to get collard greens in your life any day of the week.
We eat collard greens in one form or another at least once a week in our household. This healthy collard greens recipe made chiffonade style is my go-to recipe when I’m in a pinch. It’s especially useful if/when my schedule is out of whack and I’ve hit that slide in terms of eating habits.
What is Chiffonade?
Chiffonade is a fancy way of describing a slicing technique in which herbs or leafy green vegetables are cut into long, thin strips. This is accomplished by stacking leaves, rolling them tightly, then slicing the leaves perpendicular to the roll. The key is having a sharp knife and cutting as thinly as possible. You see this technique used most often for herbs like basil and mint, but I thought collard greens would work just as well.
Collard Greens Health Benefits
The great thing about this recipe is by not “cooking” them you truly get to enjoy all their wonderfulÂ health benefitsÂ as they are rich in vitamins and minerals. Cooking no matter how you skin it breaks down food on some level and the longer you cook the more nutrients you lose. So if you consider the traditional way of cooking collard greens, i.e. long simmering in a pot, unless you’re drinking the broth you’re missing many of the nutrients.
Are Raw Collard Greens Flavorful?
A simple collard greens chiffonade approach combined with a homemade lemon vinaigrette provides a quick, healthy, and yet very flavorful way to enjoy collard greens. The acid from the lemon and rice vinegar help break down the greens and remove the bitterness, while the spices and garlic help balance the flavor out. For additional flavor top with my tequila based hot pepper sauce.
raw collard greens chiffonade recipe
If you make these delicious vegan collard greens, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me onÂ Instagram,Â Facebook,Â Twitter, andÂ Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me atÂ SpotifyÂ to find curated monthly playlists.
- Collard greens leavesâ€¨
- Juice from 2 medium lemons
- 2 garlic cloves mincedâ€¨
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oilâ€¨
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepperâ€¨
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Slice away the tough veins from the center of the collard greens leaves.
- Stack 8-10 halves of leaves on top of each other and roll tightly.
- Using a very sharp knife, chop the roll into very thin ribbons.
- Wash the sliced collard greens very well under cold water and drain.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Place the collard greens in a large bowl and toss well with the dressing. Add additional Aleppo pepper if desired. Season with kosher salt and pepper to desired taste. Serve immediately or let sit for awhile to allow the flavors to merge further.