I know it’s fall but we still enjoy a fancy cucumber melon soda! A refreshing and tasty beverage for a hot day or an enjoyable mocktail.
- Honeydew Melon
- Club Soda
Remove seeds from both melon and cucumbers. Chop the fruit roughly and add to a blender along with basil and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture into a large bowl and chill immediately for 30 minutes to an hour.
Add lime juice and sugar to the mixture stirring well. Adjust sweetness levels to your liking. Keep in mind the addition of club soda will actually dilute the flavor some depending on how much you add.
Fill a tall glass with equal parts club soda and cucumber-melon mixture. Garnish with more basil.
MAKING MELON SODA CONSIDERATIONS
For change-ups you can infuse the soda with different herbs and citrus zest.
Quality ingredients is key to this dish. Choose ripe melons and freshest cucumbers. This is not a dish where you buy cucumbers and then leave in the fridge 4 or 5 days before using.
Given the thickness of the melon-cucumber puree the club soda offers two benefits – it helps to thin out the drink as well as provide that sparkling effervescence element that adds a fun factor. Finishing with basil leaves you with a refreshing, sparkling soda with both floral and herbal notes. The lime juice helps to bring out the dull flavor from both the cucumber and melon.
Besides using quality ingredients, it’s important to strike a balance between the cucumber and melon. It’s this balance that makes the soda work. Balance in this instance literally means using equal parts of each of the two main ingredients.
This recipe can easily be converted into a tasty cocktail. Gin, vokda, and cachaca (Brazilian rum) blend well without disturbing the character of the drink. Think gin/vodka tonic but elevated.
make this recipe
If you make this cucumber melon soda or any other from the site, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 1/2 lb. ripe melon honeydew, musk or similar with white to green flesh, peeled, seeded, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 lb. cucumbers peeled, seeded, and chopped into chunks
- Juice from 3 medium limes
- 2 large whole basil leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp of sugar or equivalent honey
- Club Soda
- Combine cucumber and melon in blender with basil and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture into a large bowl and chill immediately for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Add lime juice, sugar/honey to the mixture and stir well. Adjust sweetness as needed. Keep in mind the addition of the club soda will dilute the flavor some depending on how much soda you use.
- Fill a tall glass with equal parts club soda and cucumber-melon mixture. Garnish with more basil.