Grilled Vegetable Salad – select ripe summer vegetables blistered over hot flames and then tossed in simple yet complex tasting citrus herb vinaigrette! This delicious simple vegan salad is ready in minutes.
Summertime is the best! You can’t beat the wide selection of fruits and vegetables available for your pleasure. I made use of as many as I could in this grilled vegetable salad.
This grilled vegetable salad recipe came together rather easily. On a recent trip home to Dallas to visit my baby sister and her family, she requested I cook and my response was sure just grab the ingredients and I’ll bang something out. Her request for specifics netted me texting a list of all the summer vegetables (okra, zucchini, asparagus, etc.) I could think of plus peaches. I love peaches! I figured they’d all be great on the grill.
What vegetables are best for grilling?
This is a simple, delicious recipe and can work with pretty much any combination of vegetables. I could have easily included onions or peppers or melons so feel free to choose your preference. I chose vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, peppers, corn on the cob, asparagus, and tomatoes; these were all ones I knew would stand up to the blistering heat from direct grilling. I added peaches for contrasting sweetness and tartness.
What type of dressing is a good fit with a grilled salad?
I took a less is more approach with the dressing. I wanted citrus for some acidity as well as to bring out the natural freshness for the vegetables. I included a mix of different fresh herbs to compliment the farm freshness with a herbal essence. These along with olive oil were the key ingredients for the simple citrus herb vinaigrette. This dressing is a perfect pairing for the smoky charred vegetables.
Ironically that day we cooked, ate, and drank to a mix of 90s hip hop tunes including Mobb Deep’s “Shook Ones Part II”. I didn’t realize rapper Prodigy from the group would die a few days later from Sickle Cell. Just a reminder to be in the moment always with those we love, as you never know how much time is left on the clock.
Grilled vegetable salad
If you make this fun grilled salad recipe please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them. You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
For another grilled vegan salad recipe try this Grilled Bitter Greens w/ Pear Vinaigrette.
For the Salad
- 2 ears corn husks removed
- 2 medium zucchini ends removed and halved lengthwise
- 1 bunch asparagus halved lengthwise and tough ends removed
- 1/2 pound padron peppers
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 fresh peaches (halved)
- Â¼ cup olive oil for grilling
For the Dressing
- Â¼ cup fresh herbs (basil, thyme, mint, cilantro)
- Â¼ cup olive oil
- Juice from two lemons
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Â½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For The Salad
- Heat grill to the hottest temperature.
- Place corn, zucchini, peppers, and asparagus on a tray.
- Place peach halves on the tray
- Brush all of the vegetables/fruit on all sides with olive oil.
- Once all are brushed with oil, lay them all out on your grill. As each side chars, turn and grill the other side.
- Cut each vegetable into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- With a sharp knife remove kernels and place in bowl.
- Cut all of the tomatoes in half and add to the bowl. Alternatively you can blister the tomatoes as well by using a seafood or vegetable grill pan
For the Dressing
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients and add to bowl. Toss until combined.