Comforting pan of Southern fried cabbage. Cabbage is fried in smoky bacon fat infused with caramelized onions and peppers for a perfect Sunday dinner side.
You’ll want to make a big batch of this cause it’s hard to just eat a small side of it.
Cabbage in my opinion is the forgotten soul food staple. Greens, sweet potatoes, and black-eyed peas get all the attention, but cabbage actually is that vegetable!
FRIED CABBAGE INGREDIENTS
- Yellow Onion
- Bell Peppers
- Garlic Cloves
- Smoked Bacon
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Mix the cayenne, paprika, black pepper, and salt on in small bowl and set aside.
Dice the bacon into small pieces. Fry on medium heat in a large skillet. Remove the bacon cubes and drain on a paper towel line plate.
Saute onions in the grease fro 3 minutes. Lower heat and add garlic cloves cooking for another minute or two. Stir as much as needed. Season with a portion of the seasoning mix.
Add the cabbage and give it a few girl swirls to mix in well and make sure all the cabbage strips gets a healthy coating of the seasoned vegetables and oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the diced peppers and mix in well.
Add more seasoning, mix well, cover and cook at a simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Remove lid and add in the cooked bacon. Mix and allow to cook for a minute or two. Season to taste and serve. Hot buttermilk biscuits are great with this dish.
FRIED CABBAGE CONSIDERATIONS AND TIPS
Cut the cabbage into strips vs. big chunks. Not only do smaller strips cook faster, they also more easily absorb all the flavor.
Use a mix of bell pepper types. Trim-Colors add to appearance.
Choose a quality bacon, preferably a smoky one. This adds to the flavor quite a bit. I also prefer thicker cuts. Not only does this add to the texture of the dish, but also its heartiness can elevate this to a main dish.
Season as you go at each step.
MORE CABBAGE RECIPES
make this recipe
If you make this Southern Fried Cabbage recipe, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 1 small Cabbage head cored and thinly chopped
- 5 slices thick-cut smoked Bacon diced
- 1 small yellow Onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic diced
- 2 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- Heat large skillet on medium heat. Add bacon and fry.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- Add onions to grease and saute 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Season with about a quarter of the spices.
- Add cabbage and mix well making sure all the cabbage pieces get coated in the seasoned bacon fat. Add half of the remaining spices then mix well.
- Add peppers to the pan, mix into the cabbage, then cover with lid, and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add bacon back as well as any additional seasoning. Serve