Quick and easy instant pot oatmeal recipe that blends sweet and savory elements for a tasty, unique breakfast option.
This oatmeal recipe is very basic on the surface, but there is just so much more than meets the eye here, as it’s highly flavorful due to a few ingredient combinations as wells as simple flavor-enhancing techniques.
- Steel Cut Oats
- Ghee or butter
- Almond Milk
- Cinnamon Stick
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Dried Cranberries
How to cook steel cut oats in an instant pot (step by step)
Step 1: Toast the oats
Using saute (high setting) function and add ghee/butter once display reads “hot.” Toast oats one minute stirring as needed
Step 2: Add cinnamon sticks and piloncillo
Mix in with the oats and let heat for 30 seconds then cancel saute.
Step 3: Cook the oats
Add the water and almond milk. Close lid and pressure cook for 4 minutes. Then use natural release for 10 minutes.
The oatmeal will be already sweetened by the piloncillo. If you’re using brown sugar instead, you’ll add it now to sweeten. At this point you can add your desired toppings. It may sound odd, but I like to add dried cranberries, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and my favorite chipotle hot sauce. For other ideas check out my guide for making oatmeal.
What Does This Oatmeal Taste Like
The ingredient mix on paper looks like a bad idea, but trust me when I say they work, and they work well! The piloncillo adds pure brown sugar flavor with notes of molasses. The cheese adds some additional saltiness that balances well with the tart cranberries. Not to be outdone, but the hot sauce adds some heat to cut through some of the sweetness. All of these work together surprisingly well and somehow even avoids overpowering the nuttiness from the oats.
Steel Cut Oats Cooking Tips
- Toasting the oats is an underrated flavor-enhancing technique. The nutty oat flavor is intensified by toasting in the ghee.
- If you skip the toasting step you can alternatively add a 1/4 tsp salt with the water and milk.
- Toasting overall is a great way to release flavor from your ingredients. I like to quickly heat the cinnamon stick before adding the liquids.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is piloncillo?
Also known as panelo or Mexican brown sugar, piloncillo is raw pure cane sugar and very prominent in Mexican cooking hence the nickname. Because its unprocessed it has a golden brown color and rich, complex flavor.
What other toppings work well?
Nuts, fruit (dried or fresh), yogurt, coconut flakes, etc.
Can I Use Old Fashioned Oats?
Yes old-fashioned oats can work. Just note you will get a different texture and the flavor won’t be as nutty. Old-fashioned oats require less water also. Oats to liquid ratio will be 2:3 vs. 2:4 for steel-cut.
For other oat-based recipes try these smoothies or oatmeal recipes:
If you make this instant pot oatmeal recipe please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- instant pot
- 1/2 tbsps ghee or butter
- 2 tbsps piloncillo or brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 2 cups almond milk unsweetened vanilla
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dried Cranberries
- Turn on Sauté button on your Instant Pot and set to High. Once display reads “Hot” add the ghee. Once ghee is melted add the oats and toast for 1 minute stirring as needed to heat all the oats.
- Add cinnamon stick and piloncillo and mix in well.
- Hit the Cancel button on the IP to turn off the heat. Add the almond milk, water and salt to the IP.
- Place the IP lid on, and make sure the steam release valve is sealed. Pressure cook for 4 minutes. When it’s done pressure cooking, let the steam naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Hit the quick release. After the float valve has gone down, remove the lid and very carefully stir to fully combine liquid and oatmeal. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Top with cheese and cranberries. Serve with hot sauce.
If you skip the toasting step you can alternatively add a 1/4 tsp salt with the water and milk.
Toasting overall is a great way to release flavor from your ingredients. I like to quickly heat the cinnamon stick before adding the liquids.