Easy, quick and complex homemade syrup sans the high fructose corn syrup.
Humble moments led me to make this syrup recipe. Stuck in the house and short on groceries, so had to go back to my roots and improvise. Funny thing is I used to work for one of the bigger syrup brands back in the day, so I know way too much about syrup ingredients. This recipe is kinda like an "ex-factor" lol. That high-fructose corn syrup ain't workin, it ain't workin.
Homemade Pancake Syrup Ingredients
Water and brown sugar are base ingredients. I added cinnamon as for flavor depth and ground ancho chili powder for complexity.
How to make syrup
Step 1: Bring water to a boil and then add the brown sugar mixing well. Let cook for about 5 minutes. The sugar-water mixture should start to reduce and thicken.
Step 2: Add the cinnamon and chili powder. Mix in and reduce heat to a low simmer for another 5 minutes
Step 3: Allow syrup to cool. Serve immediately or transfer to a container and reserve until ready to use.
This syrup works great on pancakes, waffles, French Toast of even syrup sandwiches. For the perfect syrup sandwich pour syrup on one whole slice of bread and top with another. I like mine hot so use my waffle maker to toast it. It's great like this btw!
Expert Tips for Making Homemade Syrup
- Add-in options are plentiful. Butter, bourbon, cacao power, chai flavor, vanilla, etc. are all simple ingredients you can add to create your preferred flavor. You can also keep things simple with no add-ins
- Control the consistency via time and heat. For thicker syrup boil a little longer to reduce it further.
- The longer the syrup sits the better it gets.
For similar recipes you might like, try these:
If you make this delicious pancake syrup recipe or any other from the site, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- ½ tbsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ancho chili powder optional
- Bring water and brown sugar to a boil. Mix well until sugar is fully dissolved. Lower heat to medium and allow to boil 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, mix in cinnamon and chili powder, and let cook 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve immediately
Add-in options are plentiful. Butter, bourbon, cacao power, chai flavor, vanilla, etc. are all simple ingredients you can add to create your preferred flavor. You can also keep things simple with no add-ins
Control the consistency via time and heat. For thicker syrup boil a little longer to reduce it further.
The longer the syrup sits the better it gets.
To re-heat place syrup in a bottle or bowl and heat on medium for 15-20 seconds in the microwave.