Grilled prawns plus spiced lemon butter sauce equals winning in a major way. Make this dish as a great appetizer or main dish weeknight option.
The prawns require no preparation and are easily cooked then topped with a kicked up lemon butter sauce seasoned with a dried Piri Piri seasoning mix which you can buy or make your own. These are fire, and you'll definitely want to find your way to them.
Grilled Prawns Ingredients
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Ghee (clarified butter)
- Dried Piri Piri spice mix
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh oregano
How To Grill Prawns and Make Sauce
Step 1: Grill Prawns
Season the prawns with salt and pepper. Pre-heat your grill for direct heat. Grill shrimp with shells on 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
Heat saucepan on medium heat. Add the ghee and melt. Add Piri Piri spice mix and lemon juice then mix well and cook 2 minutes. Set aside.
Serve the prawns over your favorite grain like rice, fonio, or couscous and top with the lemon butter sauce and fresh oregano.
Tips For Making This Shrimp Dish
- Choose the largest shrimp available to you
- Avoid overcooking. Keep in mind the prawns will cook a little more even after you remove them from the heat
- For easier consumption peel the shrimp but leave tail intact before cooking
- Make your own seasoning mix and adjust as necessary
Grilled Shrimp Frequently Asked Questions
Should I Cook with Shells On or Not?
I prefer cooking mine with shells on. It's harder to overcook and dry them out, but peeling first definitely make things easier on the back end come eating time.
Can I substitute regular butter?
Yes indeed, but the flavor profile will be less pronounced. Ghee has a very distinct flavor and elevates the dish, but it is a bit more expensive.
For similar shrimp based recipes you might like, try these:
Nigerian Grilled Shrimp Skewers
For additional spicy recipes try these:
If you make this grilled prawns with lemon butter sauce recipe please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 1 lb large prawns
- ½ tablespoon kosher Salt
- ½ tablespoon black Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Ghee clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon dried Piri Piri spice mix or make your own (*see recipe link)
- 1 Lemon juiced
- Fresh oregano
Grill the Prawns
- Season the prawns with salt and pepper
- Pre-heat grill for direct heat. Grill shrimp with shells on 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
Make the Sauce
- Heat saucepan on medium heat. Add ghee and melt. Add Piri Piri spice mix and lemon juice. Set aside
- Serve the prawns over rice and top with the lemon butter sauce and fresh oregano.