An open-faced spinach and avocado omelet recipe with loads of vegetables for a delicious healthy breakfast.
Open-faced omelets were a big part of my breakfast mornings as a kid. We always had plenty of eggs thanks to my great Uncle Bubba’s farm. In my later years I discovered Norma’s Cafe in my beloved Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas where omelets are a specialty, so I’ve become a bit of a snob. As a side note, one of my favorite artists, T-Bone Walker spent a lil time in Oak Cliff honing his craft.
Spinach and Avocado Omelet Ingredients
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
How to make an omelet (step by step)
Step 1: Saute onions and spinach in a skillet 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for another 30 seconds
Step 2: Whisk together eggs plus black pepper. Pour eggs over vegetable mixture in the pan.
Step 3: Tilt the pan to spread the egg mixture evenly.
Let eggs firm up a little and after about 10 seconds shake the pan a bit and use a spatula to gently direct the mixture away from the sides into the middle. Allow the remaining liquid to then flow into the space left at the sides of the pan.
Step 4: Remove from heat and add avocado slices on top leaving the omelet open.
Top with shredded cheese. Cover with a lid and let stand until cheese has melted. This omelet recipe also pairs well with a blueberry smoothie.
For other breakfast recipes try these:
If you make this delicious spinach and avocado omelet or any other from the site, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. Definitely take a photo of the dish and be sure to tag #foodfidelity so that I can see them.
You can also keep up with my food exploits as well as original recipes! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. If you like any of the music you find on the site, visit me at Spotify to find curated monthly playlists.
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach or baby kale
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- 1 avocado sliced
- In a 9 inch skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil, saute onions and spinach for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 30 seconds
- In a bowl whisk together eggs and pepper.
- Pour eggs over vegetable mixture.
- Tilt the pan to spread the egg mixture evenly. Let eggs firm up a little, and after about ten seconds shake the pan a bit and use a spatula to gently direct the mixture away from the sides and into the middle. Allow the remaining liquid to then flow into the space left at the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve with avocado
- Optional - Sprinkle with shredded cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.